US at `crossroads` in Pakistan: Senator
Washington: "More aggressive action" in Pakistan`s tribal region to deny sanctuary to al Qaeda and Taliban may be a "good thing" but it should not take the focus away from Afghanistan where the US Army should be given "all the resources" needed, a senior Republican lawmaker has said.
"We are at a crossroads in Pakistan," Senator Kit Bond said on the floor of the House in a speech in which he favoured the approach of General Stanley McChrystal, Commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, to send more troops to the war-torn country.
He said the US should encourage Pakistan to reclaim their national sovereignty in the tribal areas and provide the stability and security "that is the right of a people to expect from their government.”
"I believe I speak for many of my colleagues when I say we should expect more from our allies to whom we give so much," Bond said adding, "but they need to hear that we are serious about our mission there as well."
Noting that Afghanistan and Pakistan are inextricably linked, he said, "More aggressive action may become a good thing in Pakistan, but such action should be in addition to, not as a substitute for, giving our troops in Afghanistan all the resources they need.”
"While denying al Qaeda and Taliban militants sanctuary in the border regions of Pakistan is critical, a fire-and- fall-back-only approach focusing on one part of this regional conflict will ultimately hand victory to the world`s most violent and feared terrorists," Bond said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’