US, Pak should acknowledge each other`s roles: Sherry Rehman
Islamabad: Pakistan`s outgoing ambassador to the US, Sherry Rehman , has said that Pakistan and the United States should acknowledge each other`s roles in the good work they do, adding that the two countries have improved their ties considerably from a low-point in 2011.
Rehman, who was addressing a gathering of senior American officials and Pakistani-Americans, added that Washington should end drone strikes in the tribal areas in order to help put the relationship on a sustained upward trajectory, reports The Express Tribune.
Rehman, who resigned from her post this week after the May 11 elections, praised the team of Pakistani diplomats for their dedicated work in helping the two countries navigate some very turbulent waters and onerous challenges in the relationship.
Rehman said that she has the satisfaction of knowing that Pakistan and the US are on the cusp of a new normal, a less hyperbolic relationship, but one founded as much on the sustainable continuum of shared democratic values instead of only the sharp, edge of strategic compulsions.
Speaking on the occasion, Deputy US Special Representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan, David Pearce, appreciated Rehman`s diplomatic efforts towards improvement in bilateral relations.
The farewell reception was attended by top US officials including White house advisor Lt. Gen Douglas Lute, USAID Administrator Rajev Shah and former US ambassador to PakistanCameron Munter, American think tank experts and journalists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez