‘US-Pak ties merely a transactional relationship`
Washington: The relationship between the US
and Pakistan has reduced to a mere transactional one, a
Republican presidential candidate has said, adding that the US
should look for other partners in the region as little could
be expected from this partnership.
".... I would recognise exactly what the US-Pakistani
relationship has become, which is merely a transactional
relationship," Republican candidate Jon Huntsman told the Fox
News in an interview.
Huntsman, the former US Ambassador to China, was
responding to questions about US-Pak ties in the wake of the
killing of 24 Pakistani soldiers in a NATO cross border fire
Following this Islamabad has blocked the NATO supply
route to Afghanistan and has asked the United States to close
its secretive Shamsi air base which is used by the CIA for
"I would figure out what the contours of the relationship
really are and what we can expect from the Pakistani
government, realising full well that the politics playing out
domestically in Pakistan are very complicated between the
Islamist side, between government, between military, between
the ISI," Huntsman said.
"I think our expectations have to be very, very low, in
terms of what we can get out of the relationship. I think we
thought we could get more and we`ve proven wrong time and time
again. Then I would tie whatever aid money we are giving to
Pakistan, if they deserve any at all -- to access drone base,
keeping the supply lines open, working rigorously with us on
counter terrorism," said Huntsman.
The former ambassador said that the relationship between
the two nations needs to be reevaluated and explained what he
would do as president.
"If that isn`t going to work, I`m going to look for a new
partner in the region, because we do have an interest in
Southwest Asia and that is a counter-terror effort, a robust
counter-terror effort, we need to be collecting intelligence,
we need to fortify our Special Forces capability, and knock
them down where they stand up. This is clearly in America`s
interest to do it right," Huntsman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in