`US to replace two Orion planes of Pakistan Navy`
Islamabad: The US will replace two P-3C
Orion maritime surveillance planes of the Pakistan Navy that
were destroyed in a terrorist attack on a naval airbase in
Karachi last month, according to a media report on Saturday.
The US has confirmed that it will replace the
aircraft; diplomatic sources were quoted as saying by the Dawn
The American-made aircraft, each worth over USD 30
million, were destroyed when a group of heavily armed
militants stormed the PNS Mehran airbase in Karachi on May 22.
Ten security personnel were killed in the attack
before four of the attackers were gunned down or blew
Under an agreement, the US is set to supply nine
P-3C Orion aircraft to Pakistan to enhance its surveillance
capabilities. Pakistan had received five aircraft so far, of
which two were destroyed in the recent attack.
Four more are currently being upgraded in the US
before their transfer to Pakistan. The US ostensibly provided
the aircraft to boost Pakistan`s capabilities to keep a watch
on terrorist activities along its coastline.
Experts say the Orions play a crucial role in the
Pakistan Navy`s efforts to monitor the movements of Indian
warships in regional waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership