US wants Dr Afridi released and safe
Washington: The United States has said that it wants Dr Shakil Afridi, who helped CIA trace Osama bin Laden, to be "released and safe".
A Pakistani doctor, Dr Afridi is accused of helping the CIA in tracing Osama bin Laden, the al Qaeda terrorist, and has been sentenced to 33 years of imprisonment.
"We want to see him released and we want to see him safe," the State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference yesterday.
"We are worried about all of it because he should never have been locked up to begin with," Nuland said. Dr Afridi is said to be on a hunger strike in a Pakistani jail.
She said that the prosecution and conviction of Dr Afridi sends absolutely the wrong message, particularly with regard to United States`s shared interest in taking down one of the world`s most notorious terrorists.
"We`ve made our views well known, both to the Pakistanis and in public. We are now in the middle of a series of working group meetings with the Pakistanis, so that could give us a chance to raise our concerns about the hunger strike and other things, and we are doing that," Nuland said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof