Will US cut all aid to Pak till Afridi is freed?
Washington: A US senator has announced that he would introduce a bill stripping Pakistan of all foreign aid unless Dr Shakil Afridi, imprisoned for helping the CIA track Osama bin Laden, is released by the country.
According to Fox News, Senator Rand Paul said he would introduce a pair of bills next week to address Dr Afridi`s plight. One bill would strip Pakistan, which received USD 2.1 billion from the US for the current fiscal year, of all foreign aid until Dr Afridi`s 33-year sentence is overturned and he is allowed to leave the country; while the other bill would seek to grant Dr Afridi’s US citizenship.
"Pakistan must understand that they are choosing the wrong side. They accuse Dr Afridi of working against Pakistan, but he was simply helping the US capture the head of al Qaeda. Surely Pakistan is not linking their interests with those of an international terrorist organisation," Paul said in a statement.
"Foreign aid has been an abysmal failure precisely for this reason, we give the aid to governments who then turn and work against our national interest. That must end," he added.
The Obama administration, meanwhile, appeared unwilling to budge from its talking points on the issue, despite an impassioned plea for US intervention from Dr Afridi`s family, reports Fox News.
"The blame has been placed on my brother because of America. We should get justice and protection," said Dr Afridi`s brother, Jamil Afridi.
Jamil claimed Pakistani authorities had tortured his brother. According to him, the family is still being denied visits to Dr Afridi in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!