Workers fired for helping doctor who tracked bin Laden reinstated
Peshawar: A Pakistani court has reinstated two women health workers who were sacked for allegedly helping Shakil Afridi, the doctor arrested for assisting the CIA in tracking former al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
The Abbottabad bench of Peshawar High Court yesterday reinstated the Lady Health Workers and ordered that they be granted all benefits they are entitled to since the day of their termination.
Bakht Bibi and Amina were among 17 Lady Health Workers sacked by the health department of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province in February 2012.
They were fired on charges that they had assisted Afridi in a fake vaccination campaign in Abbottabad, to find the home of bin Laden, who was killed by American commandoes in an unilateral raid on May 2, 2011.
The 15 other Lady Health Workers were reinstated in the past.
All the sacked workers were penalised for not getting permission from higher authorities to join the campaign. They were unaware of the drama staged by Afridi, who was posted in the tribal region at that time.
They also faced pressure and were grilled by investigation agencies after the death of bin Laden, The News daily reported.
Afridi was arrested soon after the killing of bin Laden, which embarrassed the powerful Pakistani military. He was given a 33-year sentence by a court in the tribal belt on charges of having links with the banned Lashkar-e-Islam group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared