Yameen says he will draw half salary
Male: New Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen has said he will draw half pay, as promised by him during his election campaign, citing the economic downturn in the country due to prolonged political impasse.
Yameen, 54, has said he would prefer to live in his own home and collect half the presidential salary after assuming office.
Speaking to the press after winning the presidential election yesterday, Yameen said, if his security personnel permits, he would prefer to stay in his own home.
Yameen said his campaign pledged are fresh in his memory and that he will draw half the presidential salary as promised during the election.
"God willing, just the way I have promised, I will not say no to the pledges I made. So my salary will start, just as I`ve said, from half the salary," Yameen said.
When asked of his goals for the economy, Yameen said the coming two years will be tough, but said he will accomplish most goals by the start of the third year.
The Maldivian economy, which depends heavily on tourism, had been hit badly after former president Mohammed Nasheed was forced ou was fo
Speaking of the top-heavy style of government employed by former president Mohamed Nasheed resigned under duress in February 2012 in a controversial transfer of power.
Yameen said he will try to announce his cabinet as soon as possible.
"In order to implement our economic manifesto, I will appoint the economic minister tomorrow," he said.
He also highlighted that the first priority of his government would be to revise the budget for next year.
"Our thinking is to keep the government as small as possible. But we do have to think about including our coalition partners in the government," Yamin said.
He also expressed hope that his opponents in the Parliament will cooperate in his efforts to overcome the many challenges faced by the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling