Young man buries himself to get cured in Pak
Karachi: A young man buried himself alive
allegedly on instructions of his fake spiritual leader, in a
case that highlights the growing menace of superstition in
The incident took place in Nankana Sahib in the
Punjab province and the young man Safdar Hussain was only
saved after his parents realised after burying him for nearly
48 hours that he would suffocate to death.
"Safdar has not been keeping well for years now and
despite many medical treatments he remains unwell.
So he went to this Pir Bhutta in Multan who has a
reputation o curing people with such chronic illnesses,"
brother of the victim, Altaf said.
He said that Pir Bhutta had ordered Safdar to
remained buried for two weeks as part of a "Chila" and he
would be cured of all illnesses permanently.
"My brother was desperate and my parents also agreed
to this form of Chila and helped bury him in the courtyard of
our house two days ago," Altaf said.
TV channels showed visuals of Safdar explaining how
he survived in his grave by inserting a thin bamboo pipe from
the grave for breathing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka