Apophis asteroid not to strike Earth: Russian experts
Moscow: Scientists with the Institute of Astronomy of the Russian Academy of Sciences have recalculated the path of the Apophis asteroid, and it indicates a significantly low likelihood of a hazardous encounter with Earth.
The Apophis asteroid is approximately the size of two-and-a-half football fields, and its orbit is slightly offset to that of Earth.
Discovered in 2004, astronomers have determined that the asteroid will make a very close flyby in 2029 and might even hit Earth.
The initial calculation for the asteroid`s orbit was made using only two sets of observations.
However, Russian scientists have recalculated its path taking into account a subtle effect changing the orbit of the asteroid -- the thrust from sunlight absorbed and re-radiated as heat by the asteroid -- the so-called Yarkovsky effect, said the institute`s leading research fellow Viktor Shor.
"Scientists give various orbital determinations for Apophis. But earlier calculations for the orbit did not include the Yarkovsky effect. This effect could strongly deflect the path of the asteroid," Shor said at the International Aerospace Congress in Moscow.
The refined orbital determination indicates the significantly low likelihood of a hazardous encounter with Earth in 2029, Shor said.
The exact path Apophis follows on its flyby in 2029 will determine whether it smashes into Earth seven years later, the scientist said.
The science of predicting asteroid orbits is based on a physical model of the solar system which includes the gravitational influence of the sun, moon, other planets and the three largest asteroids.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj