Apophis asteroid not to strike Earth: Russian experts
Moscow: Scientists with the Institute of Astronomy of the Russian Academy of Sciences have recalculated the path of the Apophis asteroid, and it indicates a significantly low likelihood of a hazardous encounter with Earth.
The Apophis asteroid is approximately the size of two-and-a-half football fields, and its orbit is slightly offset to that of Earth.
Discovered in 2004, astronomers have determined that the asteroid will make a very close flyby in 2029 and might even hit Earth.
The initial calculation for the asteroid`s orbit was made using only two sets of observations.
However, Russian scientists have recalculated its path taking into account a subtle effect changing the orbit of the asteroid -- the thrust from sunlight absorbed and re-radiated as heat by the asteroid -- the so-called Yarkovsky effect, said the institute`s leading research fellow Viktor Shor.
"Scientists give various orbital determinations for Apophis. But earlier calculations for the orbit did not include the Yarkovsky effect. This effect could strongly deflect the path of the asteroid," Shor said at the International Aerospace Congress in Moscow.
The refined orbital determination indicates the significantly low likelihood of a hazardous encounter with Earth in 2029, Shor said.
The exact path Apophis follows on its flyby in 2029 will determine whether it smashes into Earth seven years later, the scientist said.
The science of predicting asteroid orbits is based on a physical model of the solar system which includes the gravitational influence of the sun, moon, other planets and the three largest asteroids.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know