Astro-enthusiasts delighted to watch Transit of Venus
Vadodara: Hundreds of astronomy enthusiasts including students from various schools today viewed the rare and much-awaited Transit of Venus in the morning sky here.
"During its movement, Venus took the form of a small black dot slowly shifting across the northern hemisphere of the sun," Divya Darshan Purohit, an astronomer and incharge of Sardar Patel Planetarium here said.
Describing it as one of the most spectacular astronomical events of the century, Purohit said the movement of Venus was witnessed between sunrise and 1021 hrs.
The rush was huge as next Venus transits would be witnessed on December 11, 2117 and December 8, 2125, Purohit said.
"We set up seven imported telescopes fitted with special solar filters and solar-viewing goggles for the people who came here to watch the rare event," Bakulesh Gupta, managing trustee of a private group of schools, told.
"There was very heavy rush since early morning and the people were delighted to watch Venus crossing the disc of the Sun," he said.
"I feel lucky to get an opportunity to watch the rare event as next such event will take place after 105 years," said a spectator who came in early morning to view the rare sight.
"I had eagerly awaited this event and thanked God for clear skies in the morning," Pallavi P, a senior official in private company, said.
The people were provided protective eye gear and camps were held for to create interest among students and people in the city about this once-in-a-lifetime event, Gupta said.
"While young children enjoyed watching the event, students from Maharaja Sayajirao university did research on the celestial event," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie