Cabinet to give nod to Mars mission today
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet is likely to give its final nod to the Rs 450 crore Mars mission slated for launch in October-November next year, on Thursday. India will be the sixth space power to undertake such an effort.
After the moon mission, ISRO`s plans for Mars exploration - touted as one of the most ambitions space efforts - got a big boost with the government allocating Rs 125 crore in the Union Budget 2012. The mission was cleared by the Space Commission last December.
The proposed project schedule says that the space agency plans to launch a Mars Orbiter as early as November next year from Sriharikota.
The Mars mission, which comprises putting a spacecraft in the Red Planet`s orbit to study its atmosphere, will be launched using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
The space agency has identified three launch windows -- one each in 2013, 2016 and 2018.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31