Cabinet to give nod to Mars mission today
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet is likely to give its final nod to the Rs 450 crore Mars mission slated for launch in October-November next year, on Thursday. India will be the sixth space power to undertake such an effort.
After the moon mission, ISRO`s plans for Mars exploration - touted as one of the most ambitions space efforts - got a big boost with the government allocating Rs 125 crore in the Union Budget 2012. The mission was cleared by the Space Commission last December.
The proposed project schedule says that the space agency plans to launch a Mars Orbiter as early as November next year from Sriharikota.
The Mars mission, which comprises putting a spacecraft in the Red Planet`s orbit to study its atmosphere, will be launched using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
The space agency has identified three launch windows -- one each in 2013, 2016 and 2018.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation