Components of Venus` acidic cloud cover identified
Washington: A team of researchers used rainbow-like light phenomenon observed on Venus cloud tops to identify the components of the planet`s acidic cloud cover.
The data was obtained by ESA`s space probe Venus Express. The data imply that the sulfuric acid in Venus` cloud tops could additionally contain pure sulfur or iron chloride - and may help solve one of the oldest mysteries of Venus research.
The veil of clouds surrounding Venus is as beautiful as it is hostile to life. Sulfuric acid constitutes their main component. Together with the planet`s dense atmosphere composed mainly of carbon dioxide, this cloud cover causes Venus` extreme greenhouse effect. Temperatures of more than 400 degrees Celsius are common on the planet`s surface.
The exact composition of the creamy-yellow clouds is still unclear. Almost 90 years ago, ground-based observations had shown that these clouds "swallow" ultraviolet light of certain wavelengths. Sulfuric acid alone cannot be responsible for this effect.
The list of possible candidates for the unknown substance is long: for example hydrobromic acid, amorphous sulfur, gaseous chloride and even bacteria have been suggested. But no one substance could be identified with certainty. Now, the glory spotted in the data of venus -express.html"> Venus Express`s Venus Monitoring Camera may offer help.
The most important precondition necessary to observe a glory is the observing position, explains Dr. Wojciech Markiewicz from the MPS, first author of the new study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report