Cosmic dance produces new galaxy
Washington: A “tidal” dwarf galaxy (TDG) has been detected by a team of astronomers from Queen’s University, the Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC) and their world-wide collaborators.
Only a handful of bona-fide TDGs have been identified and this particular galaxy is the first that has been discovered by the international research team, using high-resolution follow-up observations of the cold group gas mapped by the Arecibo Legacy Fast ALFA (ALFALFA) survey.
This detection places tight constraints on the history of its neighbouring galaxies and gives insight into the processes that drive universal galaxy formation and evolution.
The baby-sized galaxy, formed during a cosmic dance between its parents: NGC 3166 and NGC 3169, has all the hallmarks of a TDG.
It is located at the high density tip of a gas-rich tidal steam of material, has sufficient mass to be self-gravitating, coincides with an active stellar region and contains little dark matter.
The presence of this TDG has strong implications about the dynamics within the NGC 3166/9 group of galaxies.
This research is part of a larger program spearheaded by the Queen’s/RMCC team to understand the processes that shape galaxies in-group environments.
Findings of the research will be presented at the annual Canadian Astronomical Society meeting in Calgary, Alberta on June 7, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'