Curiosity Mars rover to ingest drill sample very soon
London: NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover has not yet ingested the rock sample it picked up a week ago, but the mission’s scientists are hoping that it will happen very shortly.
The robot, which is investigating a deep crater on the planet, drilled into what appears to be a mudstone producing some grey powder produced in the process.
The sample that is sitting in the stem of the tool must be moved to the onboard labs for analysis.
John Grotzinger, the mission’s chief scientist, told BBC News that they have to first confirm that the powder has moved up the drill stem, and from there, it will go into something called the drill assembly, which is about as big as a hockey puck.
It is where the sample gets portioned before going through a set of tubes that takes it to some sieves, he said.
According to him, only particles measuring 150 microns (millionths of a metre) across, or less, will be sent to the two big labs in the belly of the rover - Chemin and Sam.
The scientists will describe the mineralogical make-up of the mudstone and try to identify any interesting carbon chemistry that might be present.
A couple of Curiosity’s survey instruments have already probed the powder - the mast-held laser spectrometer, Chemcam, and the X-ray spectrometer, APXS, on the end of the robotic arm. These devices can determine some of the basic chemistry in a target rock.
But the mission’s scientists may not disclose their results until Chemin and Sam have done their full-on analysis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video