How sun sets in an alien world
Washington: Scientists have thrown light on how sunsets on exoplanets would look like.
According to University of Exeter exoplanetary scientist Frederic Pont, as exoplanet planet HD 209458 b - unofficially known as “Osiris”, a world 150 light-years from Earth, orbits extremely close to its star, atmospheric temperatures are high (around 1,000 degrees Celsius or 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit).
This implies that its outer atmospheric layers become “puffed up.”
The exoplanet’s atmospheric “puffiness” makes it easier to analyze, and using data from the STIS spectrograph on the Hubble Space Telescope, Pont was able to calculate how the star would look as seen at the exoplanet’s horizon, Discovery News reported.
In the case of Osiris, as its star drops through the atmosphere from an observer’s perspective, it will transform from predominantly white to blue.
The blueness is due to atmospheric sodium absorbing the orange/red light being emitted by the star, causing its light to shift towards the blue part of the spectrum.
As the star drops further, Rayleigh scattering by atmospheric molecules will disperse even the blue light from the star. (Rayleigh scattering is the same mechanism that gives Earth`s sky a blue hue.)
The only light able to make it through the atmosphere will be green and ultimately murky brown. The atmosphere will then glow because of emission from atmospheric molecules and the Rayleigh scattering will cause a blue hue to stay on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez