India successfully test fires Astra air-to-air missile
New Delhi: India today successfully test-fired its first indigenously-developed air-to-air missile Astra from a Su-30 combat aircraft over a firing range in the western sector.
"The indigenously developed Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air-to-air missile `ASTRA` was successfully test fired by the Air Force from a naval range in the western sector meeting all the mission objectives," a DRDO release said today.
Astra is India`s first BVR air-to-air missile indigenously designed and developed by DRDO and is an all-weather weapon system.
Congratulating the team of scientists involved in the test-firing, DRDO chief Avinash Chander said the missile would be soon tested against an actual target and is planned to be equipped on the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft `Tejas`.
"Astra`s successful launch from the Su-30 combat aircraft is a major step in missile aircraft integration. Extensive flight testing that has preceded today`s air launch was indeed a joint effort of DRDO and IAF. Many more trials are planned and will be conducted to clear the launch envelope," he said.
The Su-30MKI aircraft of the IAF was modified by the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited along with IAF specialists.
"The missiles have undergone rigorous testing on Su-30 in the captive mode for avionics integration and seeker evaluation in 2013. The project has thus reached the final stage of testing and evaluation, and the Mark-II variant with higher range capability is also planned to be tested by the end of 2014," DRDO spokesperson Ravi Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam