India`s first navigation satellite set for July 1 launch
Bangalore: Indian Space Research Organisation has now scheduled the launch of the country`s first navigation satellite for July one after rectifying an anomaly.
"Review is on. It`s scheduled to be launched at 11.43 PM on July one", ISRO sources told PTI here on Thursday.
The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System-1A (IRNSS-1A) was scheduled for launch on board Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C22) on June 12, 2013 at 01:01 hours from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
The spacecraft had gone through all electrical checks and was ready for propellant filling. The PSLV-C22 was fully integrated and was undergoing electrical checks.
But during the electrical checks of the launch vehicle early this month, an anomaly was observed in one of the electro-hydraulic control actuators in the second stage, forcing the space agency to postpone the launch.
Bangalore headquartered ISRO has since replaced this actuator.
The 1425 kg IRNSS-1, which will have a life span of about 10 years, will provide satellite-based terrestrial, aerial and marine navigation services and also help in disaster and fleet management and vehicle tracking, an ISRO official said.
ISRO has planned to have a constellation of seven satellites under IRNSS by 2014-15.
IRNSS is an independent regional navigation satellite system, and once all the spacecraft become operational, it would provide position accuracy, similar to Global Positioning System (GPS), of better than 10 metres over India and the region extending about 1,500 km around the country.
"It is designed to provide an accurate real time Position, Navigation and Time (PNT) services to users on a variety of platforms with 24x7 service availability under all weather conditions", the official said.
IRNSS provides two basic services -- standard positioning service for common civilian users and restricted service for special authorised users, ISRO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested