ISRO justifies Rs 450 crore Mars mission
Sriharikota (AP): Asserting that its Rs 450- crore mission to Mars was not a wrong priority, Indian Space Research Organisation Tuesday said all the country`s space programmes are "people-centric" and every rupee has been accounted for.
Replying to a query by a foreign media whether ISRO was in a race with neighbouring China, ISRO Chairman K Radhakrishnan said "we are not in race with anyone. We are in race with ourselves.
"ISRO`s satellites are people-centric and application-centric.. I can proudly say space has brought many services to the country", he said.
Contending that India was a role model in space applications, he said "there is no question of wrong priority. In fact, this is the right priority. We have benefited the grassroot level people in the country..Scientific cost-benefit studies are being done on our programmes and every rupee is traced."
Referring to the recent cyclone which had hit Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, he said "our three satellites have helped evacuate people in Odisha during the recent cyclone. You can see our satellites have been put to use in many such instances."
He said Indian space programmes were aimed at helping the grassroot level people and also contribute in the understanding of science in the country. "Exploration leads to new knowledge and humankind is curious to know the existence of these planets."
Recalling all space programmes in India since 1960s, he said "if we don`t do this, we will become stagnant. The first time India planned a launch, a similar question was asked whether the country with many poor people should attempt (such a launch)."
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Indian Premier League 2016: Chris Morris does justice to whopping price tag for Delhi Daredevils with incredible 82-run knock
- Facebook profits surge as user base expands
- Watch - Maiden rocket launch from Russia's brand new Vostochny Cosmodrome!
- 'Revamped' Varanasi ghats to go green - PM Modi set to distribute e-boats to boatmen of Ganga
- Air travellers to get refund on development fee for tickets booked beyond April 30