NASA tests 3D-printed rocket engine injector
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: US space agency, NASA has successfully tested a rocket engine injector using 3D-printing technology, potentially signifying a new age of propulsion-system manufacturing.
The injector, which is used to deliver liquid oxygen and hydrogen gas to a rocket engine’s combustion chamber, was designed by Florida-based company Aerojet Rocketdyne, using high-powered laser beams that liquefied and fused metallic powders.
“Hot-fire-testing the injector as part of a rocket engine is a significant accomplishment in maturing additive manufacturing for use in rocket engines,” Carol Tolbert, manager of the Manufacturing Innovation Project at NASA’s Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, said in a statement.
“These successful tests let us know that we are ready to move on to demonstrate the feasibility of developing full-size, additively manufactured parts,” Tolbert added.
While rocket engine injectors normally take a year or more to build, the 3D-printed injector used in the test took less than four months. 3D printing technology saves time and also reduces cost of production by 70 percent.
“NASA recognises that on Earth and potentially in space, additive manufacturing can be game-changing for new mission opportunities, significantly reducing production time and cost by `printing` tools, engine parts or even entire spacecraft,” Michael Gazarik, NASA’s associate administrator for space technology added.
The tests were carried out by the Glenn Research Center in Cleveland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy