Partial lunar eclipse to be visible Thursday night
New Delhi: The first of the three lunar eclipses of the year will occur tomorrow, giving astro enthusiasts all over the country an opportunity to witness the celestial event.
A tiny sliver of the Moon will be covered by the Earth`s umbral shadow at maximum of the partial lunar eclipse, N Sri Raghunandan Kumar of Planetary Society of India told PTI.
This is the third shortest partial eclipse of the Moon for the 21st century, lasting just 27 minutes.
According to NASA, the shortest partial lunar eclipse of the 21st century will be on February 13, 2082, lasting only 25.5 minutes.
NASA data also indicates that on September 28, 2034, the second shortest partial eclipse will last for 26.7 minutes. The April 25-26, 2013, partial lunar eclipse will last for 27 minutes, making it the third shortest lunar eclipse of this century.
The lunar eclipse in various phases will begin at 11:32 PM tomorrow night and end at 03:43 AM on April 26.
The noticeable Umbra phase will begin at 1:22 AM and end at 1:53 AM. Middle of eclipse, or when it is maximum, will occur at 1:37 AM, he said.
The eclipse will be visible in the region covering Australia, Asia (except N.E. Part), Africa, Europe and Antarctica, Kumar said.
This year, a total of five eclipses, three lunar and two annular, will occur.
Unlike an eclipse of the sun, star gazers do not need protective eye equipment to observe a lunar eclipse, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video