Russia launches military communication satellite
Moscow: Russia has successfully launched a new military communication satellite, Xinhua reported.
Lt. Col. Alexei Zolotukhin, spokesman for the the Russian Space Forces, said a Meridian satellite, the fourth in a series, atop a Soyuz-2.1a rocket blasted off from the Plesetsk launching site in northern Russia at 2141 Moscow time Wednesday (1741 GMT), according to Itar-Tass news agency.
Apart from military uses, the Meridian-series satellites would also help in communications, navigation and surveillance for civilian customers.
Russia currently has over 100 satellites in orbit - two-thirds of them are for military or dual purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie