Scientists create largest high resolution mosaic of lunar North Pole
Washington: Scientists, using cameras aboard NASA`s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), have developed the largest high resolution mosaic of our moon`s north polar region.
The six-and-a-half feet (two-meters)-per-pixel images cover an area equal to more than one-quarter of the United States.
The entire image measures 931,070 pixels square - nearly 867 billion pixels total. A complete printout at 300 dots per inch - considered crisp resolution for printed publications - would require a square sheet of paper wider than a professional U.S. football field and almost as long.
John Keller, LRO project scientist at NASA`s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md, said that this unique image is a tremendous resource for scientists and the public alike, asserting that it`s the latest example of the exciting insights and data products LRO has been providing for nearly five years.
The images making up the mosaic were taken by the two LRO Narrow Angle Cameras, which are part of the instrument suite known as the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC). The cameras can record a tremendous dynamic range of lit and shadowed areas.
LRO entered lunar orbit in June 2009 equipped with seven instrument suites to map the surface, probe the radiation environment, investigate water and key mineral resources, and gather geological clues about the moon`s evolution.
Image Credit: NASA/STEREO/Helioviewer
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!