Soyuz spaceship blasts off for ISS
New Delhi: Three astronauts, two Russians and an American blasted off for the International Space Station (ISS) aboard a Soyuz spaceship on Tuesday after more than a month`s delay over a problem with the hull of the Russian-built capsule.
NASA astronaut Joseph Acaba, veteran cosmonaut Gennady Padalka and Sergei Revin
Started the journey to the clear skies in the Russian Soyuz TMA-04M rocket from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 0301 GMT (11:01 p.m. EDT on Monday).
The crew members gave a thumbs-up signal to a camera on board the capsule, three minutes into the flight. The mission control said that all the crew members were feeling good.
The trio will join Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko, NASA`s Don Pettit and European Space Agency astronaut Andre Kuipers aboard the ISS, who have already been on the station almost five months since their December launch.
Tuesday`s flight was delayed by one-and-a-half months for safety reasons and to prepare a new capsule for launch after an accident during pressure tests damaged the Soyuz crew capsule.
Ever since the retirement of the space shuttles last year, the United States is dependent on Russia to fly astronauts to the ISS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan