Space Express: Soyuz reaches ISS in record 6 hours
Moscow/New Delhi: It takes over nine hours to fly from New Delhi to London and eight more hours to reach New York – far more time than what Russia’s Soyuz spacecraft took to travel from the International Space Station on Friday.
Blasting off from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, the Soyuz carried three men – two Russian cosmonauts and one American – to the ISS in just under six hours, as against the usual 50 hour journey from the earth to the space lab.
Chris Cassidy of the United States and Russians Pavel Vinogradov and Alexander Misurkin linked up with the space station`s Russian Rassvet research module over the Pacific Ocean, just off Peru, at 04:35 GMT. About two hours passed before pressure equalised between the capsule and the station, allowing safe entrance.
The speedy journey to the space station was achieved by putting into motion a special manoeuvre which reduced the usual orbiting of Earth 30 times by the spacecraft to just four.
Dubbed by NASA`s official television commentator as a "chase into space" – was made possible by launching the Soyuz just after the ISS passes overhead in orbit.
After reaching orbit, the Soyuz then had just over 1,000 miles to make up to catch up with the ISS – speeded up by newly-improved thrusters.
The new manoeuvre was tested successfully by three Russian Progress cargo ships, unmanned versions of the Soyuz used to ferry supplies to the space station.
The incoming crew will spend five months in space before returning to Earth.
"Hey, is anyone home?" joked Vinogradov as he floated into the station.
Cassidy, Vinogradov and Misurkin were greeted with cheers and hugs by American Tom Mashburn, Russian Roman Romanenko and Canadian Chris Hadfield, who have been at the station since December.
The astronauts then had a brief session with Mission Control outside Moscow, talking with friends and relatives. "You`re such a star! I`m really proud of you!" Misurkin`s tearful mother said. The 35-year-old Russian is on his first flight into space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in