Space war: Russian base on the moon
Moscow: Aiming to create the first base on the surface of the moon, Russia has started building a spacecraft for manned lunar missions with the first test scheduled for 2015, the project developer said.
"Work has already started. The unmanned tests are scheduled in 2015, the first manned mission is planned in 2018," Xinhua quoted Gennady Raikunov, head of the Central Research Institute of Machine Building, as saying.
The spaceships would be designed to land on and lift off from the moon, work as space tug-boats as well as service modules for other space vehicles, he said.
"(Russian federal space agency) Roscosmos has planned the creation of a new manned transportation system to conduct manned flights to the moon and servicing the vehicles in space," Raikunov said.
The official also linked the lunar programme to the fate of the Russian segment of the International Space Station (ISS). Whether Russia will continue the ISS work after 2020 depends on the progress of the lunar programme, he said.
"It is necessary to determine the main direction of manned cosmonautics development. Current strategy envisages focusing on the manned flights to the moon, including the creation of a base on its surface," he said.
Victor Khartov, head of Russia`s Lavochkin Scientific and Production Corp., said the country must "return to the moon in 2015 in a Soviet style, to prove everyone and ourselves that we remember all the Soviet Union could do".
The Russian space strategy until 2030 presented by Roscosmos regards the moon missions as a step towards a manned flight to Mars.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list