Sunita Williams lifts lid on space station`s zero gravity loos
London: Indian origin astronomer Sunita Williams, who holds the record for the longest single space flight by a woman - 195 days, has demonstrated how astronauts use toilets in the zero-gravity International Space Station in a newly released video.
The former station commander has been explaining about the 12.5-million- pound hi-tech facilities as part of a fascinating video tour she compiled before returning to earth last November, the Mirror reported.
She said that the six-strong crew even has a choice of toilet paper - soft tissue for the Americans and the harsher, rough variety preferred by Russian cosmonauts.
According to Sunita, the "Waste Collection System ", or WCS, offers a degree of privacy with its own folding door.
She explained that No1s and No 2s are colour coded
In the video, Sunita is seen holding her nose as she point out the No2 loo and is heard saying: "That smells a bit - so I`m closing it".
US Navy pilot Sunita, who has spent a total of almost 322 days in space after seven missions, further said that the crew is also provided with nappies, gloves and sterile wipes in case things get a bit messy.
Though she said the system does occasionally go wrong, she doesn`t explain the details of the problem.
Sunita also showed the astronauts` beds - phone booth-sized compartments with sleeping bags.
She demonstrated how the crew could nod off in any position without feeling upside-down or disoriented in any way.
And if they need to wake up for a quick splash-down, it seems they just have to remember to leave the landing light on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?