11 candidates in fray for Yercaud bypoll
Chennai: Eleven candidates have been left in fray after an Independent on Wednesday withdrew his nomination papers for the December 4 by-election to Yercaud (ST) Assembly seat at the end of the deadline for withdrawal from contest.
Ruling AIADMK nominee P Saroja, the widow of C Perumal, is crossing swords in a keenly-contested battle with DMK candidate V Maran.
Nine Independents are also testing their electoral luck from the constituency.
This is the fourth bypoll being held in Tamil Nadu since 2011 after AIADMK returned to power and the ruling dispensation had won all the three.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has deployed all her ministers to ensure the party candidate`s victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples