11 candidates in fray for Yercaud bypoll
Chennai: Eleven candidates have been left in fray after an Independent on Wednesday withdrew his nomination papers for the December 4 by-election to Yercaud (ST) Assembly seat at the end of the deadline for withdrawal from contest.
Ruling AIADMK nominee P Saroja, the widow of C Perumal, is crossing swords in a keenly-contested battle with DMK candidate V Maran.
Nine Independents are also testing their electoral luck from the constituency.
This is the fourth bypoll being held in Tamil Nadu since 2011 after AIADMK returned to power and the ruling dispensation had won all the three.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has deployed all her ministers to ensure the party candidate`s victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding