13-yr-old shot dead for trespassing in Army area
Chennai: In a heart wrenching incident, a 13-year-old boy was shot dead, allegedly by Army personnel while trying to trespass into an Army compound here on Sunday, according to a news report by a private television news channel.
The Army, however, denied the allegation that its
personnel shot at Dilshan when he tried to pluck some fruits
from the residential quarters in the premises.
The boy later succumbed to injuries at a government hospital, police said.
City Additional Commissioner (Law and Order) P Thamaraikannan said that a case has been registered and
investigations are on into the incident.
However there are conflicting versions about who killed the boy. One report says the boy was shot at by a police man whereas an another report says the boy was shot at by an Army jawan.
Thamaraikannan assured that action would be taken against
those involved in the case.
The incident has evoked a huge protest in the area. The protesters pelted stones at the Army compound and demanded a detailed inquiry into the issue. They also demanded to sack the Army official or the policeman responsible for the heinous crime.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa alleged Army
personnel`s role in the boy`s death and announced Rs 5 lakh
compensation to his family.
Strongly condemning the firing at the teenager, the Chief
Minister said the jawan could have easily made out that the
boy was "not an extremist or a terrorist."
"This is not acceptable," she said, adding her government
has written to the General Officer Commanding here to hand
over the guilty jawan to the state police for further
Earlier, Dilshan was admitted to the ICU of a government
hospital here even as irate residents strongly protested
against the incident.
The Army termed the incident as "very unfortunate," and
said it would not allow the guilty to go scot free.
"We have constituted a board of officers to carry out a
proper search of the area including the houses adjoining the
scene of the incident. The process of search is going on in
detail," Brigadier (Administration) Sashi Nair told reporters.
He said sniffer dogs have been deployed and officials from
the forensic department were already on the job.
"In our colony here and in fact in all our colonies we
don`t have any armed guard. Even if you see now at the main
gate, we have outsourced (the security) to civilians. They
have only a stick in their hand. There is no weapon that is
authorised to come into any of these colonies," he said,
dismissing allegations by the boy`s relatives that the Army
had opened fire at him.
Nair said checking was being done all over the place and
no weapon was found in the colony so far. The entire area has
been cordoned off and none is being allowed to go out.
"In this colony there is no armed guard. Whether a
civilian has shot (at the boy), whether an army man has shot,
whether a policeman has shot, I cannot comment at this
stage...," he said, expressing regret over this incident.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow