AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka
Chennai: Expressing her unhappiness with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday urged the government to back a resolution in Geneva on "war crimes" blamed on the Sri Lanka military towards the end of the war.
"I had written two letters to the prime minister saying India should support the resolution by America against Sri Lanka," she told reporters here. "I am not satisfied with the prime minister`s reply.
"There was no commitment ... by the prime minister. The AIADMK is not satisfied," she said.
Accusations of "war crimes" during close of Colombo`s civil war with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009 triggered a massive uproar in Indian parliament Tuesday.
Most of the anger centred over the alleged killing of the 12-year-old son of Tamil Tigers chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, who leaked video footage showed took five bullets from close range in May 2009.
The government has said it has not made up its mind on the resolution before the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
In his letter to Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M. Karunanidhi, Manmohan Singh said India had always attached "high priority" to the safety, prosperity and well-being of the Tamils in Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video