AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka
Chennai: Expressing her unhappiness with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday urged the government to back a resolution in Geneva on "war crimes" blamed on the Sri Lanka military towards the end of the war.
"I had written two letters to the prime minister saying India should support the resolution by America against Sri Lanka," she told reporters here. "I am not satisfied with the prime minister`s reply.
"There was no commitment ... by the prime minister. The AIADMK is not satisfied," she said.
Accusations of "war crimes" during close of Colombo`s civil war with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009 triggered a massive uproar in Indian parliament Tuesday.
Most of the anger centred over the alleged killing of the 12-year-old son of Tamil Tigers chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, who leaked video footage showed took five bullets from close range in May 2009.
The government has said it has not made up its mind on the resolution before the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
In his letter to Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M. Karunanidhi, Manmohan Singh said India had always attached "high priority" to the safety, prosperity and well-being of the Tamils in Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic