Annual 45 day fishing ban to be in force from Apri
Nagapattinam/Karaikal: The annual 45-day ban on fishing in Nagapattinam and Karaikal coastal areas will commence from April 15.
The governments of Tamil Nadu and Puduchery have imposed the ban under provisions of the Deep sea Fishing Regulation Act, 2001. Every year, between April 15 and May 29, engine propelled trawlers are not allowed for fishing activities.
This ban coincides with the spawning season for fish, during which they release eggs. As trawlers use fishing nets with small gaps, eggs and young ones would be caught in the net, leading to resource depletion.
The ban is in line with international standards and practices.
Countries like Spain,Australia and USA impose similar bans every year.In India,it was Kerala which first imposed the ban aiming at resource conservation in 1988. Other coastal states followed suit.
Though the annual ban leads to 45 days loss of income, it is considered necessary. Fishermen dependent on trawlers utilise this time to maintain and repair the boats and nets.
While trawlers face the ban,catamarans and fibreglass boat boats are exempted from the ban. The nets used by the fishermen in catamarans are different from those used by the trawlers. The nets of catamarans have big gaps and the young fish and eggs will not be caught.
Meanwhile, Nagapattinam District Collector T Munusamy has directed all mechanised trawlers venturing into the sea to return to shore before Apr 15 and warned of stern action if they violate the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH