Arrest warrant against Vijayakanth in defamation case
Thanjavur: A court here on Wednesday issued an arrest warrant against actor-turned-politician Vijayakanth of DMDK in a defamation case filed by the Tamil Nadu government after he failed to respond to summons issued by it earlier.
Principal Sessions Judge R Sethumadhavan issued the warrant taking note of Vijaykanth`s failure to respond to the summons.
The case was filed against Vijaykanth for making "defamatory" remarks against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and the state government at a meeting here on August 12 last year.
Police had filed the chargesheet in the case on February 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination