Bill to repeal Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Act in RS
New Delhi: A Bill to repeal the Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Act which provided for creation of the Legislative Council in Tamil Nadu was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on Friday.
The Bill, introduced by Law Minister Salman Khurshid, seeks to make consequential amendments in the Representation of the People Act, 1950 and the Representation of People Act, 1951.
The Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Act, 2010, was enacted by Parliament to provide for the creation of the Legislative Council of Tamil Nadu, in pursuance to the resolution passed by the Tamil Nadu Assembly on April 12, 2010.
However, before the Legislative Council could be constituted in accordance with the Act, the Tamil Nadu Assembly passed another resolution on June 7, 2011 to the effect that the decision to create the Legislative Council be withdrawn.
It is, therefore, proposed to repeal the Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Act, 2010 and the Delimitation of the Constituencies (Tamil Nadu) Order, 2010 and to make consequential amendments in the Representation of the People Act, 1950 and the Representation of the People Act, 1951, Khurshid said.
- Meaning, Rashi and Nakshatra of 10 unique baby boy names inspired by Lord Ganesha
- Sania Mirza's autobiography titled 'Ace Against Odds' to hit stands in July
- Volcanoes erupted beneath ice sheet on Mars billions of years ago
- Uttarakhand crisis: SC grants Centre time till May 6 to clear stand on holding floor test
- Meet Tommy Singh aka Shahid Kapoor in 'Chitta Ve' from 'Udta Punjab'—Watch!