BJP releases manifesto; comes down on DMK, AIADMK freebies
Chennai: Coming down heavily against promise
of freebies by DMK and AIADMK for the April 13 Tamil Nadu
assembly polls, BJP today assured the people it would provide
an "honest" and "transparent" government if voted to power.
Releasing BJP manifesto, former party national President
Bangaru Laxman said the ruling Dravidian parties through the
years had failed to address developmental issues and only
focussed on garnering more votes by announcing "freebies".
Terming the freebies announced DMK and AIADMK as an "empty
rhetoric", he criticised the Dravidian parties for having
failed to address the basic issue of price rise.
"If BJP comes into power, it will focus on the development
of state", he told reporters here.
Referring to BJP manifesto, party Tamil Nadu unit President
Pon Radhakrishnan said "BJP is contesting in 194
constituencies and we are not interested in providing
freebies. But we assure you to provide a honest and
transparent government (if BJP comes to power)".
Detailing some of the highlights on the manifesto, he said
on the Cauvery river water issue with Karnataka, the party
would try to get 205 TMC water annually for Tamil Nadu to help
the delta farmers.
On the Mullaperiyar dam issue, he said action would be
taken to retain the rights of Tamil Nadu and also raise the
dam height to 142 feet as allowed by the Supreme Court. Action
on interlinking of rivers would also be taken, he said.
Radhakrishnan said a separate ministry would be formed to
protect the lives of Tamils living around the world.
For the welfare of Tamils in Sri Lanka, BJP would strive to
give them equal rights and justice.
He said a law banning slaughter of cows and transportation
of animals to other states would be brought.
On the Sethu Samudram issue, the manifesto said it would
take steps to protect Ramar bridge besides ensuring to declare
the bridge as a historical monument.
He said BJP senior leader Sushma Swaraj would campaign in
Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing