Celebrity Tamil novelist supports Modi, gets threat
Chennai: Popular Tamil novelist RN Joe D`Cruz finds himself "facing threats" and "hate mails" after he expressed his support for BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, hailing his Gujarat regime as "a visionary government".
There had been a lot of opposition, threat and blackmail after he posted his pro-Modi views a few days ago on Facebook, Joe, a Sahitya Akademi award recipient and a champion of the cause of fishermen, told PTI.
On the reaction in literary circles, he alleged "certain people blackmail. Others threaten that my literary work that are currently getting translated will be in trouble. For instance, a translation of `Aazhi Soozh Ulagu,` which is under the process of publication in English will be halted, they say. Some have sent hate mails that shower abuses."
However, Joe is unfazed by such opposition. "My decision to support Modi is whole-hearted," he said.
Asked if his support to Modi, accused of not doing much to contain Gujarat riots, would not be viewed as anti-minorities, he said, "I have travelled far and wide and understand socio-political and economic realities in our country. So far, all those who have been in power have only displayed a selfish attitude and lack of doable ideas to solve people`s problems."
The development in Gujarat was actually propelled by "pragmatism" and the practical approach became "easy" owing to a real understanding of issues and workable solutions, Joe, who hails from a community of traditional fishermen, said.
"All other regimes failed to do this. More particularly, there you have a visionary government that truly cares for the common man," said Joe, whose novel "Korkai", an account of a 100-year history of fishermen, won the Sahitya Akademi award for 2013.
His earlier novel novel "Aazhi Soozh Ulagu" received the state government`s best novel award in 2005.
He has also done documentary films and all his creative works deal mostly with the lives and sufferings of Tamil fishermen. He also penned dialogues for actor Dhanush starrer "Maryan," a film directed by Bharat Bala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM