Congress announces candidates for 60 seats for TN polls
New Delhi: Jayanthi Thangabalu, wife of
Tamil Nadu PCC chief K V Thangblu, and former Union Minister S
Thirunavukarasu figure in the list of Congress candidates for
60 seats annnounced by the party on Wednesday for Tamil Nadu assembly
Other key names include AICC secretary K Jayakkumar
and senior party leaders Peter Alphanse and S Ganesan.
Jayanthi Thangabalu has been fielded from Myalapore
seat while Thirunavukarasu will contest from Aranthangi.
Alphonse will contest from Kadayaanallur while K Jayakkumar
has named for the reserved Madurantakam seat.
At least six women have been given tickets including
Gayathri Devi, D Yashodha, Haseena Syed, Jothi Mani and S
Vijayadharani apart from Jayanthi Thangabalu.
This is for the first time in several years that the
Congress will be contesting as many as 63 seats. The strength
of the Tamil Nadu Assembly is 234.
The Congress has remained out of power in the state
for the past four decades and has been generally contesting
the polls as an ally of Dravidian parties DMK or AIADMK.
In 1989 and 1996, the party had contested alone but it
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend