Congress looking to forge alliance with Jaya?
New Delhi/Chennai: With AIADMK emerging a clear winner in Tamil Nadu Assembly polls, political equations seem to be changing fast in the state as well as at the Centre.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Sunday called AIADMK chief J Jayalalitha and congratulated her for the victory.
Sonia even invited Jayalalitha for a tea party in the capital, fuelling speculation that the Congress might be preparing to dump its ally DMK, which suffered a heavy defeat in the recently-concluded elections.
Jayalalitha has accepted the invitation and said she will travel to Delhi next month to meet the Congress chief over tea.
The DMK-led alliance might have lost power in Tamil Nadu, a key southern state, but the result has come as a breather for the ally Congress. The probe into the 2G spectrum allocation scam, in which DMK chief M Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi has been made an accused and party’s Dalit face A Raja – the former telecom minister – is behind bars, had led to a standoff between the two allies.
With DMK reduced to a miniscule political force in the state, the southern party would be aware its pressure tactics would be of no use now.
Congress, while on one hand aiming to breathe free, would be looking at the future and new alliances to increase the coalition numbers at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India