Congress looking to forge alliance with Jaya?
New Delhi/Chennai: With AIADMK emerging a clear winner in Tamil Nadu Assembly polls, political equations seem to be changing fast in the state as well as at the Centre.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Sunday called AIADMK chief J Jayalalitha and congratulated her for the victory.
Sonia even invited Jayalalitha for a tea party in the capital, fuelling speculation that the Congress might be preparing to dump its ally DMK, which suffered a heavy defeat in the recently-concluded elections.
Jayalalitha has accepted the invitation and said she will travel to Delhi next month to meet the Congress chief over tea.
The DMK-led alliance might have lost power in Tamil Nadu, a key southern state, but the result has come as a breather for the ally Congress. The probe into the 2G spectrum allocation scam, in which DMK chief M Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi has been made an accused and party’s Dalit face A Raja – the former telecom minister – is behind bars, had led to a standoff between the two allies.
With DMK reduced to a miniscule political force in the state, the southern party would be aware its pressure tactics would be of no use now.
Congress, while on one hand aiming to breathe free, would be looking at the future and new alliances to increase the coalition numbers at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez