Court issues NBW against Vijayakanth in defamation suit
Chennai: A local court on Monday issued a non- bailable warrant against DMDK leader Vijayakant in a defamation suit filed against him on behalf of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Principal Sessions Judge G Chockalingam ordered issue of the NBW against the actor-politician and adjourned the case to July 29 for further hearing.
The suit, filed in December last year, alleged that remarks made by Vijayakanth against Jayalalithaa in an interview to a private regional television channel criticising spending of public money on advertisements were defamatory in nature.
Vijayakant, also leader of the opposition in the state assembly, had given the interview to Captain TV - the DMDK organ on October 26.
The DMDK leader was not present when the case came up for hearing today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail