Court issues NBW against Vijayakanth in defamation suit
Chennai: A local court on Monday issued a non- bailable warrant against DMDK leader Vijayakant in a defamation suit filed against him on behalf of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Principal Sessions Judge G Chockalingam ordered issue of the NBW against the actor-politician and adjourned the case to July 29 for further hearing.
The suit, filed in December last year, alleged that remarks made by Vijayakanth against Jayalalithaa in an interview to a private regional television channel criticising spending of public money on advertisements were defamatory in nature.
Vijayakant, also leader of the opposition in the state assembly, had given the interview to Captain TV - the DMDK organ on October 26.
The DMDK leader was not present when the case came up for hearing today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video