CPI-M condemns Kalam`s frisking
Chennai: Tamil Nadu unit of CPI-M on Wednesday
condemned the Sept 29 frisking of former President APJ Abdul
Kalam by security officials at New York`s JFK Airport.
The party`s state committee in a resolution passed at its
meeting said the US authorities had violated well established
principles that former Presidents were exempted from frisking.
"This is not the first time that Kalam was subjected to
humiliation. He faced the same humiliation in 2008 also`, the
80-year-old Kalam was twice frisked at the JFK Airport by
security officials who even took off his jacket and shoes to
check for explosives before he was to board an Air India
flight on September 29.
It said several well known figures including popular
artists Sharu khan and Kamal Hasan and former defence minister
George Fernandes were subjected to such humilitions.
It urged the Tamil Nadu government to eradicate
untouchability which the party said was practised in several
parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter