DA case against Jaya adjourned to Dec 21
Bangalore: A special court, trying the
disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa on Wednesday rejected an application filed by her close
aide and co-accused Sasikala Natarajan, raising questions
concerning the translation process.
Counsel for Sasikala, Santhana Gopalan, had filed the
interlocutory application on December 8 seeking court`s
direction to the interpreter to keep the translated version of
the questions framed by the court ready in Tamil and then
record the answers in Tamil which could then be translated
Special court judge B M Mallikarjunaiah, however, granted
one week time to the counsel to move the High Court on the
translation matter as against three weeks sought by him and
adjourned recording Sasikala`s statement under section 313 of
CrPC (power to examine the accused) to December 21.
When the court sought to know from the special public
prosecutor B V Acharya whether he had any objection to Gopalan
seeking time to move the High Court, he said, "I have no
objection. They are doing all this only to protract the
proceedings, nothing else."
The case relates to alleged accumulation of wealth
disproportionate to known sources of income by Jayalalithaa
when she was chief minister in 1991-96.
The court had earlier adjourned the case to December 8
for questioning Sasikala, second accused, after the four-day
deposition of Jayalalithaa last month during which she
answered 1,339 questions framed by the judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened