DMDK replaces one of its candidates
Chennai: In the second such instance in a week, Opposition DMDK replaced one of its candidates for the April 24 Lok Sabha polls.
DMDK founder Vijayakanth replaced his party`s candidate for Cuddalore Lok Sabha seat, fielding CR Jaishankar in place of R Ramanujam.
Announcing the change in a statement, Vijayakanth, however, did not specify any reason for his decision, but appealed to his local functionaries to ensure the victory of Jaishankar.
Earlier, the party`s candidate for Namakkal, N Maheswaran had pulled out of the electoral race on health grounds. He was one of the five candidates unilaterally announced by the party before it struck an alliance with BJP.
Vijayakanth later named SK Vel for Namakkal.
DMDK is facing the polls as part of the BJP-led combine in Tamil Nadu and has been allotted 14 seats by the saffron party. The state has a total of 39 constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city