DMDK replaces one of its candidates
Chennai: In the second such instance in a week, Opposition DMDK replaced one of its candidates for the April 24 Lok Sabha polls.
DMDK founder Vijayakanth replaced his party`s candidate for Cuddalore Lok Sabha seat, fielding CR Jaishankar in place of R Ramanujam.
Announcing the change in a statement, Vijayakanth, however, did not specify any reason for his decision, but appealed to his local functionaries to ensure the victory of Jaishankar.
Earlier, the party`s candidate for Namakkal, N Maheswaran had pulled out of the electoral race on health grounds. He was one of the five candidates unilaterally announced by the party before it struck an alliance with BJP.
Vijayakanth later named SK Vel for Namakkal.
DMDK is facing the polls as part of the BJP-led combine in Tamil Nadu and has been allotted 14 seats by the saffron party. The state has a total of 39 constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Bus falls into ditch in Bihar's Nawada, 28 injured
- Pullela Gopichand is good, but we will find a better coach for PV Sindhu: Telangana deputy CM Mohammed Mahmood Ali
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth