DMK leader seeks advance bail in quarrying case
Chennai: Senior DMK leader and former minister K Ponmudi has filed an application for anticipatory bail before the Madras High Court in connection with a case of quarrying of red sand in `patta` lands.
Ponmudi, DMK strongman in Villupuram, submitted that he apprehended arrest for his alleged involvement in the offence. He said he was innocent and had nothing to do with the alleged offence.
The offence was registered under sections of Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulations) Act, 1957, Tamil Nadu Mines and Minerals Concession Rule, 1959, Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and IPC.
Police had filed a case of irregularities in quarrying of red sand in patta lands in the area, based on the report given by Tahsildar of Vanur in Villupuram district.
Justice B Rajendran adjourned the matter for Oct4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts