DMK wants training programme for Lankan personnel scrapped
New Delhi: Key UPA ally DMK Tuesday demanded that the Centre should immediately scrap the training programme for Sri Lankan Army personnel in the country, arguing that such exercises create doubts in the minds of people of Tamil Nadu about the government`s intentions.
A delegation of DMK MPs led by its Parliamentary Party leader T R Baalu met Defence Minister A K Antony and placed their demands before him, explaining the rationale for wanting scrapping of the training programme.
Training of Sri Lankan Army personnel in India ran into a rough weather after they were shifted from an Air Force Station in Tambaram in Chennai following stiff opposition from political parties and other groups in Tamil Nadu.
In the memorandum submitted to Antony, the MPs said India`s training to Sri Lankan personnel after the country voted in favour of a resolution at UNHRC in Geneva earlier this year against that country, creates "doubts in the minds of people of Tamil Nadu about the intentions of the government."
"To allay such fears and doubts, we urge the Government of India to immediately stop training Sri Lankan Army personnel, who are accused of perpetrating war crimes against innocent Tamils in that country," the MPs said.
The DMK lawmakers also complained that the `no change` stand of the Centre with regard to the training programme has hurt the sentiments of Tamils across the globe.
The issue has also triggered a letter war in the state with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and her bete noire and DMK chief M Karunanidhi dashing off letters frequently to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking scrapping of the training exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi