EC bans govt ads, articles with party symbols in Salem district
Chennai: Seeking to strictly implement the model code of conduct in Salem in view of the December 4 Yercaud by-poll, Election Commission on Friday said government advertisements and sale or distribution of articles having pictures or symbols of any party was banned in the district.
Yercaud comes under the Salem district.
No publicity should be given to any political party or candidate at the cost of public exchequer. "Hence all advertisements by government are banned in the entire Salem district," a release from the office of Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar said here.
"Also publicity given to any party in the form of distribution or sale of articles by government or government agencies, with the articles having pictures of political persons or symbols of any party is also covered by the Model Code of Conduct," it said.
EC has written to all government secretaries asking them to ensure that no sale or distribution of such articles by government or government agencies takes place in Salem district during the operation of Model Code of Conduct.
"Any violation of the same would be viewed very strictly by the Election Commission of India," it said.
The directives comes amid complaints by opposition DMK that the ruling AIADMK was misusing official machinery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie