EC bans govt ads, articles with party symbols in Salem district
Chennai: Seeking to strictly implement the model code of conduct in Salem in view of the December 4 Yercaud by-poll, Election Commission on Friday said government advertisements and sale or distribution of articles having pictures or symbols of any party was banned in the district.
Yercaud comes under the Salem district.
No publicity should be given to any political party or candidate at the cost of public exchequer. "Hence all advertisements by government are banned in the entire Salem district," a release from the office of Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar said here.
"Also publicity given to any party in the form of distribution or sale of articles by government or government agencies, with the articles having pictures of political persons or symbols of any party is also covered by the Model Code of Conduct," it said.
EC has written to all government secretaries asking them to ensure that no sale or distribution of such articles by government or government agencies takes place in Salem district during the operation of Model Code of Conduct.
"Any violation of the same would be viewed very strictly by the Election Commission of India," it said.
The directives comes amid complaints by opposition DMK that the ruling AIADMK was misusing official machinery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory