Fishermen protest arrests of their colleagues by Sri Lanka
Rameswaram: Tamil Nadu Coastal Area Fishermen`s Association and the Fishermen`s Association on Monday decided to boycott fishing activities indefenitely from July 21 to protest against continuous arrest and attack on fishemen by the Sri lankan navalmen.
A meeting of the Associations was held here after 20 fishermen were arrested along with their four boats and were taken to Sri Lanka yesterday.
The fishermen also wanted the Centre to restore their fishing rights in the traditional areas in Palk Bay which included Katchatheevu, Jesuraja, president of the Fishermen`s Association told PTI.
The Centre had recently filed in the Madras High Court stating the Tamil Nadu fishermen had no fishing rights in Katchatheevu without knowing the Tamil Nadu fishing Zones -- traditional, historical as well as geographical-- he said.
The meeting also also decided to handover their fishing licence to the district officials on July 21 as a mark of protest.
They also planned to travel to Sri Lanka in their boats on July 26 flying white flags and seeking refuge in Sri Lanka for their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble