Fishermen protest arrests of their colleagues by Sri Lanka
Rameswaram: Tamil Nadu Coastal Area Fishermen`s Association and the Fishermen`s Association on Monday decided to boycott fishing activities indefenitely from July 21 to protest against continuous arrest and attack on fishemen by the Sri lankan navalmen.
A meeting of the Associations was held here after 20 fishermen were arrested along with their four boats and were taken to Sri Lanka yesterday.
The fishermen also wanted the Centre to restore their fishing rights in the traditional areas in Palk Bay which included Katchatheevu, Jesuraja, president of the Fishermen`s Association told PTI.
The Centre had recently filed in the Madras High Court stating the Tamil Nadu fishermen had no fishing rights in Katchatheevu without knowing the Tamil Nadu fishing Zones -- traditional, historical as well as geographical-- he said.
The meeting also also decided to handover their fishing licence to the district officials on July 21 as a mark of protest.
They also planned to travel to Sri Lanka in their boats on July 26 flying white flags and seeking refuge in Sri Lanka for their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH