Five injured as gallery collapses in Madurai
Madurai: Five persons sustained minor injuries after the gallery erected for the spectators to witness "Jallikattu" (bull taming sport), held as part of the harvest festival of Pongal, collapsed at Avaniyapuram here on Monday, police said.
The event was stopped for nearly 30 minutes following the incident, they said.
More than 300 bulls were brought from neighbouring districts of Theni, Dindigul, Sivaganga, Pudukottai, Salem and Namakkal for Jallikattu.
The event was conductd as per the guidelines of Tamil Nadu Jallikattu Regulation Act and authorities had were making sure that the bulls were not subjected to harassment and administered intoxicants, official sources said.
Strict vigil was also made to ensure that the bull tamers were not inebriated, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?