Five injured as gallery collapses in Madurai
Madurai: Five persons sustained minor injuries after the gallery erected for the spectators to witness "Jallikattu" (bull taming sport), held as part of the harvest festival of Pongal, collapsed at Avaniyapuram here on Monday, police said.
The event was stopped for nearly 30 minutes following the incident, they said.
More than 300 bulls were brought from neighbouring districts of Theni, Dindigul, Sivaganga, Pudukottai, Salem and Namakkal for Jallikattu.
The event was conductd as per the guidelines of Tamil Nadu Jallikattu Regulation Act and authorities had were making sure that the bulls were not subjected to harassment and administered intoxicants, official sources said.
Strict vigil was also made to ensure that the bull tamers were not inebriated, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Zaira Wasim controversy: 'Dangal' star's posters burnt in Kashmir valley