Five injured as gallery collapses in Madurai
Madurai: Five persons sustained minor injuries after the gallery erected for the spectators to witness "Jallikattu" (bull taming sport), held as part of the harvest festival of Pongal, collapsed at Avaniyapuram here on Monday, police said.
The event was stopped for nearly 30 minutes following the incident, they said.
More than 300 bulls were brought from neighbouring districts of Theni, Dindigul, Sivaganga, Pudukottai, Salem and Namakkal for Jallikattu.
The event was conductd as per the guidelines of Tamil Nadu Jallikattu Regulation Act and authorities had were making sure that the bulls were not subjected to harassment and administered intoxicants, official sources said.
Strict vigil was also made to ensure that the bull tamers were not inebriated, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat