Five injured as gallery collapses in Madurai
Madurai: Five persons sustained minor injuries after the gallery erected for the spectators to witness "Jallikattu" (bull taming sport), held as part of the harvest festival of Pongal, collapsed at Avaniyapuram here on Monday, police said.
The event was stopped for nearly 30 minutes following the incident, they said.
More than 300 bulls were brought from neighbouring districts of Theni, Dindigul, Sivaganga, Pudukottai, Salem and Namakkal for Jallikattu.
The event was conductd as per the guidelines of Tamil Nadu Jallikattu Regulation Act and authorities had were making sure that the bulls were not subjected to harassment and administered intoxicants, official sources said.
Strict vigil was also made to ensure that the bull tamers were not inebriated, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi