Five injured as gallery collapses in Madurai
Madurai: Five persons sustained minor injuries after the gallery erected for the spectators to witness "Jallikattu" (bull taming sport), held as part of the harvest festival of Pongal, collapsed at Avaniyapuram here on Monday, police said.
The event was stopped for nearly 30 minutes following the incident, they said.
More than 300 bulls were brought from neighbouring districts of Theni, Dindigul, Sivaganga, Pudukottai, Salem and Namakkal for Jallikattu.
The event was conductd as per the guidelines of Tamil Nadu Jallikattu Regulation Act and authorities had were making sure that the bulls were not subjected to harassment and administered intoxicants, official sources said.
Strict vigil was also made to ensure that the bull tamers were not inebriated, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- India needs to tread the innovation path to progress
- Janmashtami 2016: Send these devotional TEXT MESSAGES to your loved ones right away!
- Soon, you may use Wi-Fi on Indian flights
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test 'greatest success'
- Myanmar weighs damage after earthquake rattles Bagan pagodas