Freebies mark birthday celebration of Alagiri
Madurai: Freebies and launch of various welfare schemes marked the celebration of Union Minister M K Alagiri`s 62nd birthday by his supporters here.
DMK supporters at the venue where the freebies were distributed, said better publicity would be given in future to celebrate his birthday as the corporation had `restricted` the number of posters and cutouts of their leader.
They alleged that the district administration had also started taking action against wall paintings, though these were just announcments of the freebies to be given away.
The venue of the freebies distribution wore a festive look with posters and buntings and a traditional chenda melam percussion group from Kerala playing. Posters praising Alagiri and his son Durai Dayanidhi were put up at various places.
The cadres had organised blood donation camps and distribution free food at some places since January 26 and said they planned to distribute welfare schemes to at least one lakh people this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday