Goondas Act slapped on ex-DMK minister Arumugam
Chennai: Former DMK minister Veerapandi S Arumugam, arrested here earlier this month in a land grabbing case, was on Monday detained under the stringent Goondas Act, police said.
The party`s strongman in Salem district, arrested near his residence on June 4 and imprisoned in Vellore, was informed about his detention, they said.
Arumugam is the latest among several DMK leaders and former ministers, besides MLAs to face police, vigilance or anti-corruption bureau`s action either on land grab charges or allegations of disproportionate assets, after the AIADMK government came to power in April last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack