Goondas Act slapped on ex-DMK minister Arumugam
Chennai: Former DMK minister Veerapandi S Arumugam, arrested here earlier this month in a land grabbing case, was on Monday detained under the stringent Goondas Act, police said.
The party`s strongman in Salem district, arrested near his residence on June 4 and imprisoned in Vellore, was informed about his detention, they said.
Arumugam is the latest among several DMK leaders and former ministers, besides MLAs to face police, vigilance or anti-corruption bureau`s action either on land grab charges or allegations of disproportionate assets, after the AIADMK government came to power in April last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says