Goondas Act slapped on ex-DMK minister Arumugam
Chennai: Former DMK minister Veerapandi S Arumugam, arrested here earlier this month in a land grabbing case, was on Monday detained under the stringent Goondas Act, police said.
The party`s strongman in Salem district, arrested near his residence on June 4 and imprisoned in Vellore, was informed about his detention, they said.
Arumugam is the latest among several DMK leaders and former ministers, besides MLAs to face police, vigilance or anti-corruption bureau`s action either on land grab charges or allegations of disproportionate assets, after the AIADMK government came to power in April last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday