Govt must not dump new secretariat-assembly: MDMK
Chennai: Estranged ally of the AIADMK, MDMK,
on Tuesday urged the Jayalalithaa-led government not to dump the
new secretariat-assembly complex that is still under
construction, saying it was being built from taxpayers` money.
"If the government decides to function from the St George
Fort, rejecting buildings (being) constructed on taxpayers`
money, a question arises if the same fate would apply to other
structures such as court complexes and Collectors` offices
built by erstwhile governments," a resolution passed in the
meeting of party`s Parliamentary Board and District
While holding that the construction of the Rs 750 crore
structure was taken up in "haste" and one which had exceeded
the cost estimates, the party however insisted taxpayers`
money was being used to fund its construction.
"It is not acceptable to change the Assembly. It should
continue in the same building," the resolution said.
The new secretariat-assembly complex, perceived to be a pet
project of former Chief Minister and DMK president
M Karunanidhi, is under construction and was inaugurated last
year by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the presence of UPA
chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
Budget sessions were held in the sprawling Assembly
building but the new Secretariat is yet to completely house
Jayalalithaa, the then Opposition leader, has vowed not to
step into the structure, dismissing the aesthetics and design
of the building as resembling a "circus tent."
MDMK members passed a resolution that the newly elected
AIADMK government should focus on solving issues such as
inter-state water disputes involving Kerala (Mullaperiyar dam
dispute) and Karnataka (Cauvery water dispute).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot