HC dismisses DMK plea against forming anti-land grabbing cells
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Saturday dismissed a petition by DMK legal wing secretary RS Bharathi challenging a Tamil Nadu government order to set up 39 special police cells across the state to check land grabbing.
"There was no `regime targeting or political
witch-hunting` as alleged. No public interest arose for
consideration in the petition," Justice KN Basha heading a
bench said, dismissing Bharathi`s petition.
Bharathi sought a direction to quash the order alleging
that the cells had been constituted to "ruin the political
career of DMK men in the eyes of the public."
However, the court admitted petitions by two advocates R
Thamaraiselvan, also a DMK MP, and G Devarajan and directed
the respondent authorities to file a counter by October 20 and
posted the matter for final disposal on October 21.
Thamaraiselvan in his petition alleged the government
order was issued on political considerations which violated
various laws including the Transfer of Property Act and the
Specific Relief Act and the Constitution.
Devarajan said there were no guidelines issued to the
police to deal with land grabbing complaints and the
government`s action amounted to usurping the civil courts
"The petitioners in these writ petitions being advocates,
their locus standi cannot be doubted," the Bench said and
admitted their petitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand