HC dismisses DMK plea against forming anti-land grabbing cells
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Saturday dismissed a petition by DMK legal wing secretary RS Bharathi challenging a Tamil Nadu government order to set up 39 special police cells across the state to check land grabbing.
"There was no `regime targeting or political
witch-hunting` as alleged. No public interest arose for
consideration in the petition," Justice KN Basha heading a
bench said, dismissing Bharathi`s petition.
Bharathi sought a direction to quash the order alleging
that the cells had been constituted to "ruin the political
career of DMK men in the eyes of the public."
However, the court admitted petitions by two advocates R
Thamaraiselvan, also a DMK MP, and G Devarajan and directed
the respondent authorities to file a counter by October 20 and
posted the matter for final disposal on October 21.
Thamaraiselvan in his petition alleged the government
order was issued on political considerations which violated
various laws including the Transfer of Property Act and the
Specific Relief Act and the Constitution.
Devarajan said there were no guidelines issued to the
police to deal with land grabbing complaints and the
government`s action amounted to usurping the civil courts
"The petitioners in these writ petitions being advocates,
their locus standi cannot be doubted," the Bench said and
admitted their petitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam